How to Hire the Right People for Your Business
Employees are the face of your business. That’s why it’s crucial to hire people that you’re comfortable with representing what you and your company stand for. Here are some quick tips for hiring the right people:
1. Define the job position clearly before even posting listings
Write down exactly what you need another employee for. This helps you define the position you are hiring for. Defining exactly what you need will help you determine qualifications necessary. That’s the next step.
2. Make qualifications clear for candidates
Instead of having to sort through hundreds of applications and resumes, make it clear what you expect from applicants. Make note of what qualifications are absolutely required and which are just nice to have. Don’t go too overboard on this though. You don’t want to end up with no interest in the position.
3. Have a rigorous hiring process
Shopper Approved has a rigorous hiring process. We like to hire ‘rock stars’. Once an application/resume is received, an email is sent to the applicant with exact instructions on how to finish applying.
- Take a typing test, take a screenshot of results, and email those results back (we require 50 WPM or faster).
- Complete a voicemail interview. Tell us your name, give us your life story in 90 seconds or less, tell us about a weakness you currently have and how you deal with it, tell us why you want this opportunity and what it means to you, and tell us about your writing skills. This should all be done in less than 4 minutes.
- If interested, we call back the applicant for an in-person interview that lasts 30 minutes to an hour.
- After that, we invite the applicant and their significant other (if applicable) to dinner so we can meet them and offer them the job.
These steps have to be followed to-a-tee for applicants to even be considered for the position they applied for.
Having a rigorous project like this helps to weed out those that can’t follow instructions or pay attention to detail. Likely, if someone gets through this process and meets your qualifications, you’ll be happy with them as an employee. Our process also means we aren’t wasting time interviewing someone that wouldn’t be a right fit for the job. You can tell a lot about a person in the voicemail interview.
Create a strong hiring process that doesn’t waste your time, and ensures you’re bringing on people that you want to represent your company. Hire rock stars!